Monday, April 20, 2009

American Orchid Society

I took a trip to the headquarters of the American Orchid Society one more time before the gardens close at the end of May. Unfortunately they are having financial difficulties. I hope they will be able to reopen again in the future.

The gardens are located at:
16700 AOS Lane
Delray Beach, FL 33446-4351
561-404-2000
I am just learning about growing orchids. This is a Phalaenopsis, the moth orchid, which is one of the best orchids for growing in the house. The blooms last for months. I bought one at Valentine's day and it is still blooming happily 2 months later.

They come in all sorts of colors. Here's one of my favorites.

This is a Paphiopedilum, or lady's-slipper orchid. It looks much like the lady's slippers we see in the woods up north.

This is a Cattleya - I had one of these in my wedding bouquet.



Not sure what type of orchid this one is, but I love the color.




I am looking forward to learning more about growing these beautiful flowers.





2 comments:

Sarah said...

You posted about a place we saw today! Orchids make me think of mysterious things, like the movie Adaptation.

JudyBop said...

It is too bad that place is closing. I love the jungley greenhouse.